Looking Out for Number 100
Strange that currently, there's a proxy war with the number. In Malaysia.
In the early years of my teaching, I always begin my semester by telling my students that they have a balance of 100 at the beginning of the semester. And that they should preserve the number as much as they should. I must have forgotten this wisdom as I have not voiced it the past decade. But reading the local news today, I saw a post relating to this 100 number and connecting it to a few personalities.
I like 100. It's rounded nicely, to the T. When I go back home, the money changers only take 100 notes. Crispy ones, even better. 100 cents equals a dollar. 100 of 1 dollar notes is 100 dollars. I think, having 10 fingers help build this idea of the value of 100. When I was in Perlis in the 80s, people were selling stuff at 1 dollar a pop. Laksa, rambutan, bunches of produce. Basket of temenung. "Sekilo singgit" (1 kilo, 1 Ringgit). Over here until recently, everything in a Dollar store is 1 dollar. That's a 100 cents, mind you. Yeah, in any currency, 100 units of the smallest denomination is a useful dollar, or rial, or ringgit. We might argue over the exchange rate, but we agree on the Maths. Why?
Because we have 10 fingers. Hands down.
And a brain that works.
-wahi
Pssst: This was for my Blog. Go visit it. (https://wahiwp.blogspot.com/)
Comments
Post a Comment